Members of Chorus America are eligible to participate in an awards program that honors inclusive excellence, artistic growth, creative and adventurous programming, education and outreach, service, and generous philanthropy.
Updates for Chorus America's 2024 Awards Program
The following award changes will apply beginning with this year’s awards cycle.
- The Dale Warland Singers Commission Award has transitioned to the Dale Warland Singers Commission Grant. The grant will continue to support the creation of new choral music with a focus on funding future work rather than recognizing past achievement. The $10,000 grant, awarded in partnership with the American Composers Forum, will support a chorus entering into an artistically meaningful and mutually beneficial partnership with a composer to contribute a new work to the choral repertoire.
- The Distinguished Service Award has been renamed the Michael Korn Distinguished Service Award in honor of Chorus America founder and first president Michael Korn. This award honors a Chorus America member whose contributions in an artistic or administrative capacity have had a national and/or international impact on the choral field and furthered Chorus America’s mission and vision. In its new iteration, the Michael Korn Distinguished Service Award incorporates the purpose and honors the legacy of the former Michael Korn Founders Award for Development of the Professional Choral Art (a lifetime achievement honoring an artistic leader for significant contributions to the professional choral art).
Streamlined and Standardized Application Process for All Awards
Chorus America has announced the recipients of its 2023 awards program, recognizing a broad range of achievements in choral music and service to the choral field. The awards program celebrates and fosters meaningful contributions from remarkable individuals and choruses.
“Chorus America is delighted to recognize the accomplishments of these incredible award winners,” said Chorus America president and CEO Catherine Dehoney. “Their artistry, their dedication, and the joy they bring to their work move the choral field forward and inspire us all.”
Chorus America 2023 Awards Program
This year, Chorus America resumed several of our Awards that have been on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on the field.
All applications must be submitted through Chorus America's application portal - CAAP. Please refer to the Chorus America Guide to Awards for information about our Awards programs and application process. See details below regarding each award and contact [email protected] with any questions.
- Chorus America Brazeal Wayne Dennard Award (open to individuals only in 2023)
- Michael Korn Founders Award for Development of the Professional Choral Art
- Chorus America Distinguished Service Award
- Louis Botto Award for Innovative Action and Entrepreneurial Zeal (next presented in 2024)
- Alice Parker Fund Award (open to organizations only in 2023)
- Dale Warland Singers Commission Award (in partnership with the American Composers Forum; open to adult volunteer choruses in 2023)
- Chorus America Education and Community Engagement Award (open to choruses with budgets under $200,000 in 2023)
- Margaret Hillis Award for Choral Excellence (open to professional or professional core choruses in 2023)
- Chorus America/ASCAP: Adventurous Programming Award (on hold for 2023)
- Chorus America/ASCAP: Alice Parker Award (on hold for 2023)
Chorus America also recognizes generous philanthropy with an award that does not have an application process. This award is nominated by the Chorus America Board.
- The Chorus America Philanthropy Award (formerly known as the Michael Korn Founders Award for Philanthropic Contribution to the Arts)
From 2002-2021, Chorus America awarded an additional Philanthropy Award that recognized a supporter of the host chorus of that year's Chorus America Conference. See here for a list of past recipients.
Questions? Contact our membership team at [email protected].