Who Should Apply?
We welcome applicants from all choral backgrounds! The Choral Executive Leadership Academy focuses on developing and unlocking the abilities that every participant possesses, and provides training to enhance and hone these existing leadership talents. Applicants from artistic, academic, and other backgrounds are encouraged to apply, and formal administrative experience is beneficial but not required. If you are interested in a career that includes executive leadership in the choral field and identify as a member of the Leadership Academy's intended audience, this program is for you.
The Leadership Academy blends several modes of engagement to form a robust, immersive program that accelerates the career development of emerging leaders, prioritizing emerging leaders who have been marginalized by race and ethnicity.
- Online learning on core adminstrative topics, in both synchronous and asynchronous formats, with guidance from expert faculty
- Working with a mentor, who also has experienced marginalization because of race and ethnicity, for additional support and connections in the field
- Creating a personalized professional development plan in collaboration with faculty, to aid next steps towards your career goals after the program's conclusion
- Special convening events, including:
- In-person kickoff at the Chorus America Conference
- Closing gathering (in-person or online, TBD)
The Leadership Academy curriculum, based on the “Leaders of Promise” program developed by faculty member Arreon Harley-Emerson, focuses on building skillsets that help emerging choral professionals become C-suite leaders - including, but not limited to:
- Human resources and managing staff
- Fundraising and development
- Strategic planning and thinking
- Budget planning
- Navigating and leading in predominantly White spaces
- Early/Mid June: In-person program kickoff at Chorus America Conference (dates and location TBD)
- June-August: Online programming, including weekly synchronous classes and check-ins
- August: Closing presentations and gathering (most likely online, TBD)