Position Purpose: This role is the artistic leader for Kirkland Choral Society.
- Design, prepare, and present outstanding choral programs and performances.
- Lead in the continued growth and health of the choir, both professional and fiscal.
- Support the vision, mission, and values of KCS; especially support the collaborative and collegial teamwork of the choir and choir leadership.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Design, prepare, and present outstanding choral programs and performances
- Continually survey the choral art landscape to uncover fresh, creative, productive ideas
- Identify program themes, anchor pieces, and hired soloists by May of the preceding season
- Design programs in consultation with the Assistant Conductor and Board leadership
- Order music for the following season
- Lead the audition & reaudition process
- Acquire or prepare individual practice materials
- Hire soloists and instrumentalists as needed
- Prepare for and lead efficient, energizing rehearsals
- Lead the choir in performance and build connection with our audience
Build and grow sustainable, productive relationships
- Create and sustain healthy relationship with our community, including:
- The Board
- Potential singers
- Collaborating musicians and other choral and arts organizations
- Attract, inspire and retain KCS singers; with the result that individual singers, and KCS as a whole, grow and maintain the strength and skill to present both the great works and smaller scale gems at the highest levels
- Be the face of KCS to the public and inspire growth and retention of singers, soloists, patrons, and donors
- Identify and make productive use of public relations and marketing opportunities
- Help arrange for master classes each season
- Lead by example in musical growth and growth in effectiveness in this role
Support the fiscal health of the choir
- Design programs that attain high standards, uplift and unite, that fit within budget targets, and that result in the attainment of patron attendance goals
- Provide needed input in budget development for upcoming seasons, and consistently adhere to budget
- Support donor asks and donor retention.
- 5+ years of choral leadership experience
- Proven track record and skills in each of the key responsibilities
- Significant performance background in music
- Advanced musical degree, specializing in choral and/or orchestral conducting
- Marketing skills as the face of the organization
- Significant performance background in both vocal and instrumental music
$25,000 - $27,500 per year, paid in twelve equal monthly payments
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume/CV highlighting your experiences with the key responsibilities, essential functions, and qualifications noted above. Email your materials to Stuart Jennings, President: [email protected].
Kirkland Choral Society is committed to being a safe, inclusive place for people of all backgrounds and walks of life. Candidates from marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.