The Northern Virginia Chorale, a 40-member community chorus founded in 1975 as the Springfield Chorale is seeking an Artistic Director. (A recently selected candidate has had to withdraw for personal reasons.) The Director is responsible for planning and implementing an annual program of at least three concerts of various genres (including classical, folk, spiritual, and popular), along with directing weekly rehearsals for singers from September through May. Rehearsals and performances are held at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Springfield, Virginia. Specific responsibilities of the Artistic Director are listed in the attached Position Description.
- Minimum Requirements. Degree in music or equivalent education/experience, as well as significant choral and instrumental conducting experience.
- Selection Process. Review of applications and qualifications, along with interviews of selected candidates. Finalists will have an opportunity to conduct a portion of a Chorale rehearsal.
- Part-Time Position. Position is part-time and does not include any fringe benefits beyond annual stipend.
- Compensation. Negotiable, based on qualifications. Include salary requirements in the cover letter.
- Assume Duties. November 2023
- Application: Submit résumé and cover letter not later than July 15, 2023, to Board Chair Robert Bell by mail at 7701 Carrleigh Parkway, Springfield, Virginia 22152, or by email at [email protected].
- Additional Information. Chorale website https://www.northernvirginiachorale.org, or contact Board Chair Robert Bell at 703-300-2205.
Position Description – Artistic Director
The Artistic Director provides the artistic vision of the Northern Virginia Chorale and is responsible for the leadership and direction of every aspect of the rehearsals of, and performances by, the Chorale and its instrumentalists. The Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors and works in conjunction and in consultation with both the President of the Chorale and Chairman of the Board.
- Provides overall artistic leadership and direction to the Chorale and its instrumentalists
- Auditions new members of Chorale
- Supervises all artistic aspects in the choice of repertoire
- Selects all artistic personnel (soloists and instrumentalists)
- Supervises all rehearsals and concerts
- Prepares scores for Chorale and instrumentalists
- Assists in the production of concert program book, including providing program notes on the pieces being presented
- Negotiates fees for soloists and instrumentalists
- Coordinates scheduling of venue for concerts and rehearsals
- Serves as ex-officio member of the Board
- Presents periodic reports to the Board, as requested, regarding the status of the artistic programs and projects
- Attends Board meetings
- Supports fundraising activities
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the Board regarding Chorale activities
- Serves as the chief spokesperson for the Chorale
- Develops and participates in community activities that further the name recognition and reputation of the Chorale
- Collaborates with the Board and the Chorale officers in developing marketing campaigns and publicity for the Chorale
- Develops annually a comprehensive artistic plan, including expenses, for approval by the Board, which provides the basis for the annual budget
- Adheres to the approved annual budget for the programs and activities
- Assists in the preparation of grant applications
Submit cover letter and resume to Robert Bell at:
a. [email protected] or
b. 7701 Carrleigh Parkway, Springfield, VA 22152.