Illuminati Vocal Arts Ensemble is taking applications for the position of permanent Artistic Director. IVAE is an auditioned SATB choir of approximately 40 singers, many of whom are music professionals. Since its founding in 2013, IVAE has established a reputation for high-level performances of demanding repertoire. The choir is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors (hereafter the “Board”) made up of singers and community members.
Qualifications: The Artistic Director of the group must be an accomplished choral conductor with a broad knowledge of choral repertoire and vocal pedagogy. Qualifications must include
- Advanced degree in choral conducting or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Experience with conducting small ensembles of instrumentalists
- 5+ years’ experience in choral conducting, preferably at the university or advanced community-based level
- Deep knowledge of choral repertoire and a record of innovative and diverse programming
- Proven leadership, administrative, and communications skills
The ideal candidate will also reside within an easy commuting distance and be available to continue in this position for several years.
Responsibilities: The AD is responsible for all musical oversight and leadership for the ensemble’s program year, which consists of three full-length concerts (autumn, mid-winter and spring). Specific responsibilities will include
- Planning each academic year season by May and presenting programs to the Board
- Plans will include budgets for accompanist, musical score, instrumentalists, and soloists. Note: unpaid soloists are often, but not always, selected from within IVAE
- Determining, in consultation with the Board, dates and preferred venues for these concerts as well as for rehearsals. (Note: Rehearsals are currently held for 2.5 hours on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons. There is normally a compact schedule of 6 rehearsals plus dress for each concert.)
- Recruiting and scheduling rehearsal accompanist and guest instrumentalists
- Auditioning new singers as needed to fill vacancies
- Reauditioning current members as needed in accordance with guidelines set by the Board
- Accepting invitations on behalf of IVAE to perform with other ensembles
- Responding favorably to requests for interviews to promote the group’s programs and reputation
- Participating in occasional receptions or special gatherings with singers and/or patrons
- Serving as an ex officio member of the Board on tasks including concert planning and production as well as other pertinent issues. Note that the AD is not obliged to attend all board meetings and is not responsible for administrative work outside the direct responsibilities associated with preparing the concerts.
Compensation: The artistic director is to be hired as an independent contractor. Stipend will be proportionate to community norms and the candidate’s qualifications.
Application Procedure: Please submit a cover letter, resume, references, and sample concert programs to the hiring committee at [email protected] with the subject line “AD Application” and your initials, by February 17, 2023. Please include videos or links from a concert or concerts you have conducted, and if available a choral rehearsal video from the choir’s perspective. Names and contact information for three references should be provided and must include one member of a current ensemble. Interviews will be scheduled as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be then be scheduled to audition with the choir in March or April. The hiring committee will make a decision as soon as all finalists have auditioned.