Artistic Director & Conductor
Artistic Director and Conductor (Independent Contractor)
Oratorio Society of Queens, Inc.
SUMMARY - MISSION – VALUES
Founded in 1927, The Oratorio Society of Queens (OSQ) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit community chorus with volunteer singers possessing various levels of proficiency. OSQ has played a significant role in the cultural life of the borough of Queens, NY throughout its 95-year history.
The mission of OSQ is to engage, educate and uplift the Queens community by presenting musical programs that span the repertoire from great choral masterpieces to popular all-time favorites through:
• providing our diverse membership of volunteer singers with joy-filled rehearsal and exhilarating
performance experiences that expand their musical abilities, build community and richly contribute to the cultural life of Queens
• offering opportunities for local high school and college students to learn music theory, voice
production, stage presence and civic responsibility by attending regular rehearsals and performing with the chorus, professional soloists and orchestra
• presenting holiday and spring concerts which are widely-recognized as the premiere choice for Queens audiences who want to hear excellent choral music
Everyone in our chorus has a voice that is heard. OSQ is a safe space where all are welcomed - where we respect and care for each other at rehearsals and throughout the year. The doors of the Oratorio Society of Queens are open to all who wish to share our vision and join us in a welcoming and affirming environment where we create a beautiful sound with all voices united in spirit and song.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Independent Contractor - The Artistic Director and Conductor will set the artistic standard and direction for the chorus, conduct weekly rehearsals, teach and prepare chorus for an annual Holiday and Spring concert and conduct chorus, soloists and orchestra/accompanists at those concerts. The role is accountable to the Board of Directors. Rehearsals are held Monday evenings 7:30 – 10:00 PM from September to June in Flushing, Queens, NY.
- Provide artistic leadership and direction to the chorus in preparation for two concerts per season
- Develop concert programs in collaboration with ad hoc music committee
- Conduct chorus and instrumental accompaniment at performances
- Conduct auditions for new members and manage vocal section placement
- Teach choral parts to membership possessing various levels of musical proficiency
- Select professional concert soloists and work with orchestra contractor to fill orchestral requirements of concert
- Work closely with the Board on development and management of organizational budgets
- Actively connect with other choral organizations and explore opportunities to collaborate with other performing/arts organizations and educational institutions in Queens.
- Participate in development outreach and fundraising activities
DESIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- High level of proficiency in choral and orchestral conducting
- Excellence in teaching music and demonstrating vocal technique to amateur singers
- Proficiency in piano playing and conducting a rehearsal from the piano
- Well-versed in the great choral masterpieces and the American choral experience. This includes choral symphonic music, oratorios, African-American spirituals, Chanukah and Christmas music, and Americana.
- Fluent in pronunciation of various languages (e.g., English, Latin, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, Yiddish, Ladino)
- Ease in public speaking at concerts to enhance the audience's understanding and enjoyment of the program
- Sensitivity to the cultural, social, and educational needs of a multi-ethnic community
- Skill in music transcription, arrangement, and music software, i.e., Sibelius, Finale
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 3 years of experience choral directing
- Master’s degree in music or equivalent experience as a choral director with orchestral experience preferred
- Experience working with amateur choruses of various levels musical capability
- Compliance with COVID vaccination documentation and health/safety protocols as established by OSQ
This is a paid opportunity without benefits.
Please email a cover letter and resume with sample performance video(s) to
Patricia DeCiccio-Franke, OSQ Operations Manager at [email protected] or mail to 50 Ascan Avenue, Room 105 Forest Hills, NY 11375; office phone: 718-279-3006.
For priority consideration, please apply by October 15, 2022.