MenAlive: Artistic Director
Founded in 2001, MenAlive - Orange County Gay Men's Chorus (OCGMC) is a non-profit organization committed to its mission - "Through music, men's voices unite to entertain, inform, bring healing, joy, friendship, and build bridges to the community at large". It accomplishes that mission through public choral performances, volunteerism and community outreach.
MenAlive seeks a dynamic and experienced leader to serve as Artistic Director to drive the mission and growth of the Orange County Gay Men's Chorus. Recognized as a model in the LGBTQIA community, MenAlive provides a safe space for LGBTQIA individuals, allies and their advocates to come together through music while making a positive impact in our community.
The Artistic Director is responsible for the formulation, planning and implementation of MenAlive’s artistic vision. Position requires proven choral conducting abilities, knowledge of choral repertoire, and successful planning and execution of concerts with a wide range of musical repertoires and styles. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal communication skills, be able to lead and motivate the chorus, along with the Executive Director (ED) will serve as an official representative to the community at large, and to interface with board members and donors.
The Artistic Director reports to the Board, must understand and show a strong commitment to fulfilling the mission and vision of MenAlive as both an artistic, development and community resource.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY INCLUDE:
- Identify concert themes that support the chorus’ brand and vision;
- Solicit and research repertoire;
- In conjunction with the ED, design each concert performance including theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, soloists, instrumentalists, and visual elements;
- Secure performance rights, mechanical licenses and any required permissions needed for printed and arranged music;
- Communicate with the Accompanist regarding the rehearsal list, tempos and other performance details for recording rehearsal tapes;
- Oversee choreography, “chorusography”, production, set design, lighting, costuming, chorus attire, dialogue, staging, acting, dancing and special effects;
- Serve as creative driving force for MenAlive and reach out to key individuals to pursue opportunities;
- Oversee the artistic health and growth of the Chorus in accordance with the Chorus’s mission, vision, operating budget, and strategic plan;
- Audition prospective and screen current singing members at before each concert cycle;
- Incorporate musical skills exercises and practices that further develop the musical skills of all singers.
- Conduct all rehearsals and performances;
- Audition, select, and coach soloists and ensembles;
- Participate in the organization of annual performance schedules including season concerts, outreach performances, and tours;
- Work with the Chorus, the Board, and volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere of community within the organization;
- Recommend musicians to be hired for the band/orchestra;
- Appoint, coach, and supervise the activities of Chorus section and musical leaders;
- In the course of rehearsal, provide opportunity for members to improve their vocal and music skills;
- Work with the Board to establish an annual budget and operating plan to execute the artistic vision;
- Attend Board meetings and provide a monthly report to the Board;
- Respond to email, phone calls and texts within a reasonable time;
- Attend and provide input for the annual Leadership retreat;
- Serve as principal liaison between the Board of Directors and the artistic staff;
- Oversee and maintain the music library;
- Define hours to be accessible to the MenAlive members and officers;
Development and Fundraising
- Assist the Executive Director with appeals to financial donors and sponsors;
- Nurture relationships with major donors and sponsors;
- Attend and actively participate in MenAlive fundraising events, including cultivating significant donors in cooperation with Board;
- Work with development staff and/or Board of Directors to find and apply for possible financial grants;
- Network with other arts organizations, music directors, and community groups to increase the visibility of the Chorus and to encourage collaboration;
- Broaden the involvement of the Chorus in the community by serving as a spokesperson and liaison on behalf of the Chorus;
- Seek opportunities for the Chorus to perform outside of scheduled concerts;
- Develop an outreach concert repertoire consistent with the artistic vision and the Chorus’s mission;
- Conduct the Chorus in all approved outreach concerts;
- As the primary public face of OCGMC, will work with the Board and the ED to ensure a consistent and appropriate public image in all internal and external communications;
Organizational Development and Networking
- Participate in professional choral organizations, such as GALA Choruses, American Choral Directors Association, Chorus America, etc;
- Develop and maintain relationships with professional colleagues by participating in and conducting workshops, clinics, conventions and festivals, etc.;
- Attend concerts of other choral organizations;
- Other activities to nurture continued skill enhancement;
The successful candidate must perform at the highest standard of integrity ensuring that all activities are legal and ethical and in adherence to OCGMC bylaws.
- BA or higher degree in Music with an emphasis in performance or choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience;
- Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience;
- Experience in planning and executing cohesive concert programs;
- Ability to offer strong leadership as well as to balance work within a team setting;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Prior experience as an Artistic or Executive Director;
- Substantial network within the Arts and Non-profit charity organizations in Orange County, CA (optional)
All candidates will be evaluated on their qualifications.
MenAlive complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit the following to Mike Auchter, [email protected]:
- A letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Samples of programming for previous concerts
- Samples of recordings of previous concerts (video preferred)