The Artistic Director of the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus is entrusted with the implementation of its mission, which is to lead by creating extraordinary music and experiences that build community, inspire activism, and foster compassion at home and around the world.
Lead a world-class 250+ member chorus in artistic excellence and mission-focused community engagement. Having grown successfully over four decades into one of the country’s leading queer arts organizations, SFGMC is ready to embrace its next artistic visionary. Building on strong foundations of directors from founder John Reed Sims through Dr. Tim Seelig, SFGMC’s new Artistic Director will bring a creative, collaborative, and entrepreneurial spirit to guide our artistic presentations, foster and build the chorus community, inspire our patron base, expand the geographic reach and diversity of our work, and leverage untapped resources of our community.
We seek a world-class choral musician who has executive-level skills and brings strong artistic vision and musical excellence to blend with success in artistic planning. An inspirational champion of the arts, who understands the importance of their role and work in fundraising. A leader who can develop, lead, and support our high-performing teams, including our volunteer singers, artistic staff, musicians, and community volunteers to achieve the goals of the organization. In addition to extraordinary leadership and musicianship, the organization is looking for an Artistic Director who demonstrates values such as empathy, humor, and musicality.
The new Artistic Director will work closely with the Executive Director to continue our commitment to diversity and to culturally informed community building and will work collaboratively with other community arts organizations, funders, and businesses to advocate for the arts and the work of SFGMC. The Artistic Director will inspire and promote our exceptional staff artists, our multiple choral programs, volunteers, and the overall organization. The candidate will directly manage the artistic staff and an annual artistic and programming budget of nearly $1m.
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR POSITION OVERVIEW
The Artistic Director of the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus is entrusted with the formulation, planning, and implementation of an artistic vision that supports and advances the mission of the organization and the camaraderie of the membership. This includes all artistic oversight and artistic development of the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus, our RHYTHM educational outreach program, and SFGMC ensembles. The Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors and is directly supervised by the Board Chair.
• Serve as creative visionary for the organization.
• Develop programming for all artistic products.
• Conduct all rehearsals and performances.
• Create and foster long-term artistic season plans 2-3 years in advance.
• Craft season plan, including show themes and commissions 12-18 months in advance.
• Chair the Music Input Committee and Artistic Team to select all repertoire.
• Develop artistic concepts and production design for all performances.
• Attend monthly Board of Directors meetings.
• Schedule, plan, and manage rehearsals and performances.
• Audition and evaluate prospective and current singing members.
• Oversee the securing of performance rights, mechanical licenses, and any permissions required for printed and arranged music.
• Partner with the members’ Leadership and Engagement Teams to advance the organizations’ mission, vision, and strategic plan.
• Prepare and present annual artistic budget.
• Manage, nurture, and recruit artistic staff.
• Identify additional performance opportunities within the framework of the organization’s mission.
• Attend and actively participate in all fundraising events to support the Executive Director and Director of Development.
• Participate in media and public relations events as a spokesperson for the organization.
• Maintain relationships with members of the Gay and Lesbian Association of Choruses (GALA), as well as other artistic organizations.
• Master’s Degree or equivalent experience.
• Excellent verbal and writing skills.
• Comfort in speaking to the audience or other groups of people.
• Experience with various media: television, radio, print.
We offer generous benefits, including health insurance, paid vacation, staff holidays, the opportunity to contribute to a retirement plan, and relocation expenses. The salary range for this full-time position is in the upper $100k range, commensurate with experience.
Application Due no later than November 1, 2021. • A letter of introduction, including a statement of interest in the position. • Your current resumé. • The names of three references (they will not be contacted until Step Two). • At least three programs of past concerts. • Links to videos of performances you have conducted. • Audio recordings.
Interview Candidates selected for the next round will be notified by January 2022. At that time, the following will occur: • Zoom interviews with members of the search committee. • References will be contacted. • Additional material may be requested: programs, videos, reviews, etc.
Audition Finalists will be notified in February. Live interviews and auditions will be scheduled for sometime March 2022. • A live audition with the Chorus. • An in-person interview with the Search Committee. • Meetings with various staff members and stake-holders.
All materials and communications with the search committee will be by conducted via email at the addresses provided below. The Board of Directors will announce the new Artistic Director in April 2022.
San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus proudly serves the diverse communities of the Bay Area. In searching for our next Artistic Director, we seek to recruit a pool of applicants that reflects that diversity. SFGMC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity, and is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
To apply, please send the materials outlined in Step One to:
AD Search Committee
To learn more about the chorus, please visit www.sfgmc.org