San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus (SDGMC), now celebrating its re-opening after almost two years in pandemic lockdown, is seeking its new Artistic Director. The new Artistic Director will take the reins in 2022 during our 37th season.
Based in America’s Finest City, SDGMC is one of the largest gay choruses in the world, having sung at locations including the White House, the Super Bowl, and Lincoln Center. Widely respected as an arts and community leader in the San Diego area, the chorus’s official mission is to create a positive musical experience through exciting performances which engage our audiences, build community support, and provide a dynamic force for social change.
A complete job description can be found on our website at www.sdgmc.org/adsearch
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Music, or related field required
- Master's Degree in related field preferred
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant, and direct experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirement
- Have ability to sing and/or play all parts (TTBB)
- Demonstrated experience in an organizational role requiring leadership, guidance, coaching, collaboration, and empowerment
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in creating/producing virtual content as an alternative, or supplement to live performances
- Ability to mediate problems and reach resolution without becoming overwhelmed, emotional, defensive, or withdrawn; ability to act as a settling influence to diffuse tensions
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, shift gears comfortably, and handle risk and uncertainty
- Comfort in challenging the status quo and communicating out of the box thinking and ideas
- Ability to make reasonable decisions when solutions may be complex or ambiguous; must be very comfortable working in "gray space"
TIME COMMITMENT: 20+ hours per week. Flexible hours, evenings and weekends required
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus is a gay-affiliated organization and is open to all qualified individuals who are supportive of its mission and hold a genuine respect for people of all ethnic, cultural, religious, sexual orientations and gender identities.
Based on experience.
APPLICATIONS should include the following:
- Cover letter outlining alignment with stated qualifications
- Resume of relevant experience
- Samples of past concert programs that exemplify your work
- Video sample(s) demonstrating directing style in concert and/or rehearsal settings
- A sample season as you envision it: starting with our branded holiday concert “Jingle,” a lively spring concert and our summer Pride concert.
All interested applications should apply by email by September 30, 2021, to Cary Berner, Vice President of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Artistic Committee via email: [email protected]. Questions may be directed to Mr. Berner at the same address. Please do not contact the Chorus Office for any matter related to this opportunity. Thank you.