The Artistic Director is responsible for supporting the artistic vision and providing leadership to achieve HHCS mission and future growth. The Artistic Director reports to and works closely with the Board of Directors.
- Plan varied and diverse programs for the season in line with the financial possibilities and strategy stipulated by the Board.
- Create and administer the annual budget for assigned elements.
- Assess and rehearse volunteer singers, and lead the chorus in public performances. HHCS performs 3-4 concerts per season between September and June and rehearses on Sunday nights starting in July. Additional rehearsals are held during the concert week and on an as-needed basis.
- Select, train, and rehearse orchestras, guest choruses, and soloists to perform with HHCS, as appropriate for the repertoire being presented.
- Is a member of the Board of Directors and collaborates closely with the board on governance, fundraising, and marketing.
- Integrate orchestra personnel, guest artists, and visiting groups.
- Coordinate with Music Librarians, Operations, Stage Setup Crew, Lighting & Sound technicians and other technical personnel.
- Collaborate with Marketing and PR Agency for promotional materials development for the entire season, all concerts, and special events.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BA/BM or Advanced Degree in Music with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience (minimum 5-6 years)
- Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with senior singers of various musical skills and experience
- Success in orchestra player selection and orchestral conducting
- Interest in and commitment to embracing the mission and vision of the Chorus
- Ability to offer strong leadership skills as well as to balance work within a team setting
- Proven ability to develop and implement annual budgets and goals
- Flexibility in working with a diverse group of volunteers and personalities
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to engage singers, players, and audience
- An ability to work within electronic mediums: word processing, e-mail, internet and intranet
- Residence in the Low Country preferred – Beaufort County, Charleston, Savannah
- Demonstrated success in developing audience admiration and loyalty
Compensation is commensurate with educational and performance experience. This is a non-benefits eligible position. Compensation is determined annually by the Board of Directors.
Applicants are required to send a letter of interest, a resume, availability, and a list of references we can contact.
Please Email the above materials to: [email protected]. Submittals will be promptly acknowledged. No phone calls please.