Worship and Arts Director
Role and Responsibilities
- The Worship Arts Director will oversee the music and arts program of the Arch Street United Methodist Church (ASUMC), a Justice-Seeking and Reconciling (LGBTQIA+ affirming) Congregation.
- The director reports directly to the pastor, is part of the ministry team and works closely with the worship planning team.
- This role will coordinate music and other worship arts for up to three Sunday worship services and provide leadership and expertise to produce virtual and in-person worship experiences.
- The director will lead and mentor those who serve the congregation through the arts ministry.
- A formal background in theology is not required; however, the worship and arts director should demonstrate familiarity with the Christian doctrine and have knowledge of how music can enhance worship in the United Methodist Church.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- A graduate degree in choral conducting (or equivalent) is preferred.
- Experience directing choirs and leading worship through music.
- Familiarity of religious, classical, contemporary, choral, organ, and piano repertory.
- Knowledge, proficiency, performance and accompaniment ability with pipe organ and piano.
- Technology skills to support online worship.
Preferred abilities and skills:
- Accomplished musician and choral conductor.
- Knowledge of the liturgical church year.
- Eclectic interest in music as ministry, appreciation of musicians, and ability to train volunteers.
- Supervise and train the choir and support volunteers with interest in the performing and fine arts.
- Incorporate and leverage the arts to support ASUMC’s social justice mission.
- Integrate “the arts” into the worship experience and encourage/support creative expression of ASUMC community members. Integration may include accessing visual and fine arts, dance, drama, spoken word, and other forms of artistic expression.
· Develop and maintain relationships with the region’s cultural institutions and local artists.
- Administer the worship arts program, including oversight of ASUMC music library and budget.
- Rehearse and direct the voice choir(s) and oversee music staff to prepare for worship.
- Select worship service music and hymns to enhance liturgy.
- Hire and schedule substitutes and guests performing or other artists.
- Play for or direct music for worship services, special services, and community events.
- Collaborate with worship and ministry teams, committees, including activities beyond regular worship and working with ministry team to develop relations with area arts programs.
- Order music, music supplies and arrange for instrumental repair.
- Promote the creative arts program to the ASUMC community.
- Maintain active, collaborative relations with organizations, i.e. colleges, regional and performing artists.
- Have right of first refusal for all weddings and funeral/memorial services requiring organ music.
- Arch Street United Methodist Church (ASUMC) is a reconciling, spirit-filled community in the heart of Center City Philadelphia, PA.
- The church’s Stanbridge pipe organ was built in 1870-71 and boasts 52 registers and 2,322 pipes.
- The Worship and Arts Director position is expected to be filled prior to or no later than July 1, 2021.
To apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and a 200 word “vision of music ministry worship arts.” Include contact information for three professional references – references will NOT be contacted without candidate’s prior knowledge and approval. Electronic applications are preferred (.doc or .pdf formats). Please forward via e-mail to email@example.com. SUBJECT LINE: Music Ministries Worship and Arts Director Search Committee.