THE SINGERS - MINNESOTA CHORAL ARTISTS (St. Paul, MN) is seeking a dynamic, collaborative, and strategic leader to join our team as executive director. The executive director reports to the board of directors and is responsible for the overall direction and management of the administration aspects of the organization. The executive director works in partnership with the Artistic Director Matthew Culloton. Learn more about The Singers at www.singersmca.org. A more detailed description about this position and the organization can be found at www.singersmca.org/executivedirector.
MISSION STATEMENT The Singers deliver compelling and thought-provoking performances and educational opportunities that can bridge cultural differences and invite appreciation of the choral art.
ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES Respect & Openness, Excellence, Collaboration, Courage, Passion
THE SINGERS STAFF & SUPPORT TEAM Artistic Director Matthew Culloton (17 years, 40 hr/wk), Operations Manager Eeva Savolainen (10 years, 30 hr/wk), CPA/Bookkeeper (13 years, 5-10 hrs per month), and the board of directors.
AN EXCITING EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR CANDIDATE:
- brings enthusiasm for the history of The Singers and a firm belief in the mission, values, and artistic vision that propel the organization’s near and long-term future.
- has a management style that is empathetic and creative, embracing the values of access, diversity, inclusion, and equity;
- exhibits a self-motivated, entrepreneurial spirit that promotes the administrative growth of a renowned choral organization;
- has 5 or more years experience as a successful Executive Director or Development Director (or comparable job title), including achievements in the areas of financial development (individual, foundation/corporation, and government sources) and community/board/staff relationship cultivation.
THE SINGERS: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Development and Fundraising
- Plan and oversee the individual donor campaign
- Develop the strategy for cultivating, securing, and sustaining corporate sponsorships
- Prepare foundation and government grant requests and reports
- Identify and pursue new sources of contributed income, incl. individuals, corporations, foundations/grants
Board of Directors
- Attend all meetings of the executive committee and full board
- Assist the president in developing and processing of agendas for the executive committee and board meetings
- Oversee short- and long-range planning; engage board and staff in periodic planning sessions
- In conjunction with the artistic director and executive committee, prepare the strategic plans and strategies for implementation
- Prepare written reports for presentation to the executive committee and board
- Assist in identifying and attracting potential new board members
- With the board, evaluate progress toward goals on a regular basis
- Develop an ongoing relationship with arts peers in the community
- Represent the chorus at community functions
- Act as spokesperson for the chorus to the media, government agencies, corporate community, foundations, funders, and the school community
- Work closely with the artistic director and treasurer on annual budget preparation and approval, monthly projections, and anticipation of potential problems
- Comply with all local, state, and federal tax regulations and prepare and file reports as needed
- Hire staff, with artistic director and executive committee representative, to fill position openings
- Create an administrative structure and decision-making mechanisms that promote a productive working atmosphere and effective staff relations
- Have a basic understanding of, or willingness to learn HR management best practices
- Negotiate and sign contracts for guest artists, rehearsal/performance venues, and other services as needed
Title: Executive Director
Company: The Singers - Minnesota Choral Artists, a 501(c)3 organization (a.k.a. The Singers)
Job Type: Part-Time (30 hrs/wk to start), Full-Year (* The board is eager to expand this position to full-time in 2-3 years.)
Salary: $35,000 - $40,000, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Relocation stipend up to $3000, other benefits to be negotiated
Minimum Education: BA/BS, though advanced degrees (i.e. MFA or MBA preferred)
Minimum Experience: 5 years of Executive/Development arts/choral experience preferred
Applicants should please send a cover letter, resumé, and contact information for two professional references in a single PDF file to Board President Joseph Osowski at email@example.com by 5 pm, Friday, April 30, 2021. Please include your full name in the title of the PDF file. Finalists will be asked to submit an example of a successful grant application at a later date. All items will remain confidential outside of the hiring committee and board of directors.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE SINGERS AND THIS POSITION, visit www.singersmca.org/executivedirector. There you can download a PDF that includes the Artistic Vision strategic document, a financial standings document, and other tools meant to help candidates acquaint themselves with a broader picture of The Singers’ organization.